Sunday, August 31, 2014
Friday, August 29, 2014
Monday, August 18, 2014
That was going to be my blog title for last week. That I was going to blog about the week before. I'm a little behind would you say?
August 4th the kids started back at school.
August 5th we found out we are moving to Dallas. We've known a change was happening for quite a while, but it seems like for the last 6 months or so we've been in limbo, wondering where and when. At least we know where now. Sort of. Cause Dallas is like, huge. And we kind of know when, at least Tyler starts his new job as a team manager September 29. But really when, we don't know. When will we list our house, when will we go house-hunting, when will we actually leave? No clue. I'm excited. I'm sad. I'm nervous.
Considering I grew up in Texas, and loved it, I have felt awfully hesitant to move back. I was really hoping to make our way back north to the Midwest because I love it there. I love seasons and black soil and basements. And Autumn. And boots and scarves. And kids making snow angels. Wyatt doesn't even know what snow is. Not even a snow plow.
Sometimes it is so stifling hot and humid here I can't even imagine moving to a place hotter and for longer. It's endless summer, but not in a good Beach Boys kind of way. More like melting into the pavement.
I'm not sad about leaving Memphis. My friend Lisa says the Mississippi Delta is the devil's armpit. Memphis is closer than I ever want to be to that. I love our house here, but that's about it. Sadly I haven't connected with too many people here outside of my bff Elizabeth (who moved) and my friend Lisa who I only really "friended" like 2 weeks ago.
But in good news, we've been working on our house (in earnest) since May and things are really shaping up around here. I have enjoyed seeing things finally fixed up, or improved even though we will most likely move to a fixer-upper and start all over again. I'll have to post pictures of what we've done.
Then August 6th was Elle's 10th birthday. I'm afraid in light of all the significant life changes, her birthday was rather lame. I didn't get out any banners since we have been keeping clutter to a minimum, she didn't want any presents (only cash) and she only wanted to eat at Arby's. But we did have homemade Oreo ice cream cake and the sister missionaries were our party guests.
August 10 Amelia turned 6 months (!). I have yet to take any photos of that chunk of sweetness who has given up on sleeping. Grrrrr.
Monday, August 04, 2014
Friday, August 01, 2014
Thursday, July 24, 2014
My first baby boy is 7. Seven! He's such a good, cute kid. I'm so happy he had a good day. These pictures are pretty lousy, but hard to capture a boy always on the go. The biggest hit present was a set of real 2-way radios. The whole family is having fun...
Sunday, July 20, 2014
- I'm grateful for those 5 kids up there (Amelia is represented by the sling). They are my life. So much so that I cannot get a shower in or barely get dressed most days, but I would not trade it for the world.
- The winter break we had this week. We had cool, cloudy, misty weather in the 60s. The 60s!!!! In July! In Memphis! It was amazing. It really hasn't been too stifling this summer, but Monday, before the front rolled it, it was feels like 101 degrees. It was miserable. And oppressive and it made me remember how much I like moderate temperatures. We spent a bunch of time outside, including going to the Memphis Botanic Gardens.
- After no Internet for a week, it's so so nice to have it back. I don't realize how much I use technology to print out a pattern, check directions, find a recipe, print postage...
- Tomorrow, Tyler goes back to being a claim rep. For the last year almost, he's been a team manager, including hiring and training a whole new team. That ended on Friday along with all the stress, worry, phone calls and emails, meetings, early mornings and late evenings. I am so glad to get him back for a little while before our life might get crazy again.
- I've lost 6 pounds. I am so big right now, and the baby weight from the last 2 babies is NOT magically coming off. I've always thought dieting was hard, but never knew how much harder it is when you have 5/6 other mouths to feed. Either I eat crap because my life is stressful and I need some form of enjoyment, or I go all day busy and rushing around and don't eat anything until I'm starving and eat crap again. It's a bad cycle and I have to fix it. I do love my fitbit and I've been striving for 10,000 steps everyday and trying to only eat garbage on weekends. Elle wants to bake treats constantly (like >3x/day) and she doesn't like anything she makes, so I end up with it. Not good. Not good at all. For that I will be grateful for school to start and get these eating/mess machines out for awhile.
- Speaking of school, it starts in 3 weeks. That's nuts. I am not ready for it to start at all! If I could just get Maddie and Elle to not bicker so much, and Elle to stop baking, I would live like this forever. I have really enjoyed this summer.
- And here's "Miowya" (said in a rather nasally voice): She is an anti-nap baby right now. She's happy and cute but always awake. We love her.
Saturday, July 19, 2014
Today is our ward pioneer day celebration, so I finally made up a bonnet for Amelia. I used the Peek-a-boo bonnet pattern which has been in my files for quite some time...
This was my second one to make up (I made one for my niece to take to the beach) and it didn't go much better than the first. It's not hard, there's nothing difficult about it at all, but I am not happy with the finished product. In order to make it reversible, there's a seam line that runs over the gathered part from the other side. I tried hand-stitching it, but gave up on that too. I need to actually shorted a pattern piece so that the seam runs perfectly in the flat part. If that makes any sense.
It's still cute. Elle wants one now too.
Wednesday, July 16, 2014
Thursday, July 10, 2014
That baby girl is 5 months today! And in honor, I finally edited her weekly pictures. All 21 of them. Actually 20, because I cannot find a picture for week 10. I thought I had been taking them every week, but apparently I missed one. That's what you get for being baby #5.